#1175: “My teenager says their father (my ex of 1.5 decades) is sending me a V-Day Present. Help!”

Dear Captain Awkward, My teenager has informed me that their father told them he plans to mail me jewelry for Valentine's Day. Their father and I have been divorced for nearly a decade and a half and I've been in three committed, long-term relationships in that time. I have less-than-zero interest in my ex-husband romantically … Continue reading #1175: “My teenager says their father (my ex of 1.5 decades) is sending me a V-Day Present. Help!”

#1166: “My mom kidnapped my kid for 30 minutes. How fired is she?”

Hi Captain! My quirky, genius, self-centered, deeply insecure, pathological boundary pushing mother took my 5 year old "out" without telling me while we were visiting over the holiday. I didn't know where he was, he was in his pajamas (it was 40 degrees out), she did not have a jacket for him. She did not … Continue reading #1166: “My mom kidnapped my kid for 30 minutes. How fired is she?”

#1149: “We decided to leave our abusive ex and move to another state, only she came with us and is living on our couch?”

This letter contains emotional abuse of people, potential physical harm of animals (now stopped/interrupted/not ongoing/the animals are ok for now!, but still I know some people can't safely read about that), and enough WHAT THE FUCK that you'll need a comfy chair and a cold washcloth, at minimum. If you want the teachable moment without … Continue reading #1149: “We decided to leave our abusive ex and move to another state, only she came with us and is living on our couch?”

#1148: “Navigating the aftermath of the abuse in the social circle.”

Hey there, Captain Awkward - My dear roommate (Clay)'s ex-boyfriend was abusive. He had mental health issues, and emotionally manipulated roommate (they/them) in various ways. I spent a lot of time helping my roommate to process the feels and vulnerabilities emerging around what happened in their relationship - and potentially over invested myself in their … Continue reading #1148: “Navigating the aftermath of the abuse in the social circle.”

It Came From The Search Terms: Flaming September

Hello friends! It's that time, where we answer the things people typed into search engines as if they were questions. It's a good way to check in with people's preoccupations on a large, anonymous scale and it's usually pretty fun. First, as is traditional, a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCiMp7F65o (Lyrics at the YouTube link) Also I know … Continue reading It Came From The Search Terms: Flaming September

Short Answer Friday/Chat for September 14

Hello everyone! We're doing the thing today, where people can submit short questions at Patreon or on Twitter (@CAwkward, #awkwardfriday) before noon Chicago time and I will answer as many as I can this afternoon between noon and 2pm. Comments get turned on once everything is posted Please enjoy this artsy photo of Daniel Striped … Continue reading Short Answer Friday/Chat for September 14

#1143: “Talking about emotional abuse and leaving my marriage with my potential support network.”

Behind a cut for emotional abuse. Hi Captain, This is a follow-up question to letter 1141. I'm not that letter-writer, but I'm in a very similar situation. My husband has become emotionally abusive and extremely controlling, we have young children together, and I do not have much of a support network. I'm working with a … Continue reading #1143: “Talking about emotional abuse and leaving my marriage with my potential support network.”

#1141: “Help with De-Escalating Arguments when Dr. Jekyll Turns into Mr. ‘Abandonment/Control Issues’ Hyde”

Behind a cut for controlling and emotionally abusive behavior. Dear Cap, My husband (he/him) and I (she/her) have been together for five years. I'd say 95% of the time things are great. We're really in tune, we share values and interests and have the same long term goals. The problem is the other 5% (maybe … Continue reading #1141: “Help with De-Escalating Arguments when Dr. Jekyll Turns into Mr. ‘Abandonment/Control Issues’ Hyde”