Have a difficult family? Dealing with a lot of stress right now? Dreading food policing? Grieving? If your mantra at this time of year is “Please let me just make it to 2015,” this is your thread. Lay it on us.
If you love the holidays, your thread is here. Go and deck some halls!
Comments closed as of 11/29. Thank you all.
My actual Christmas tree from a few years back.
What are you most looking forward to about celebrating the Halfway Out of the Dark festivals this year? What are some holiday traditions you have created? Are there any gifts you’ve picked out that you are dying to tell someone about without spoiling the surprise? Tell us!
If this is a really hard time for you, there is a thread here for you to tell us about it. You are not alone!
I’m visiting my folks for a few days for a family wedding, so internet access (and moderation/freeing comments from the spam trap) may be spotty until early next week. Be well!
Photo credit: me, on one of my last visits to New England. O visual irony!
Hi Awkward Team!
I am a lady and I have a lady friend who is, to put it in a word, creepy. We’ve known each other for about two years and I was always under the impression that our relationship was strictly platonic (I have a live-in boyfriend) but for a while she’s been doing and saying things that make me really uncomfortable. Examples:
- We went to see a movie about a dysfunctional relationship and she said to me, “This is so Us.” After the movie was over, she said she thought we should maybe break up because of how many parallels our relationship had to the movie. I was completely unaware that she thought we were together.
- I don’t like to be touched, and am very clear on this with all of my friends, but she regularly strokes my face and rubs my back and (?!?!) unhooks my bra when we’re around each other. I have heard her telling people that she’s the only one who’s allowed to touch me, but I don’t remember making this arrangement with her.
- She came out for drinks with me and my boyfriend once and very pointedly ignored him the whole time, and then when she thought he couldn’t hear her she leaned over to me and whispered, “Would you be really upset if we got rid of [Boyfriend]?” and then proceeded to stroke my back.
- Whenever I’ve been at her house, she’s made overt sexual advances (changing into lingerie instead of pajamas, touching me inappropriately, having explicit conversations that wouldn’t make me uncomfortable with anyone else, but I feel like if I’m participating if I allow it to go on with her) even though I a) have a boyfriend and b) expressed my lack of romantic interest before said boyfriend was a thing.
- Despite me being very clear that I don’t have any romantic feelings for her, she seems to think that we are in some sort of trump-card relationship, like I’m Cathy and she’s Heathcliff and my boyfriend (and anyone else for that matter) is Linton – when I don’t even consider her one of my better friends.
I’d really like to be done now but I’m not sure what social niceties dictate in this case. I make sexual jokes and have very close relationships with a lot of my female friends, so I feel like in some way I must be leading her on. If I were in this situation with a man, it would be very clear to me that I shouldn’t be around him anymore, for both my safety and my peace of mind, but I’m worried that this physical affection and pseudo-romantic dynamic might be a part of girl culture for which I just didn’t get the memo.
Any insight, Awkwardeers?
I’m still writing fanfic masked as advice columns for Indiewire, so if you are interested, check out the recent columns for Orange Is The New Black (what do you do when your friend is telling an big & obvious lie but you don’t want to rock her fragile mental state) and today’s Halt & Catch Fire piece (what do you do when you’ve slept with the boss and your coworkers are making a fuss?). What (currently running) TV show should we tackle next?
I’m traveling without reliable internet access until Monday, which is a good thing for me, but a bad thing for cleaning out the spam filter or moderating comments. Thanks for your patience while I take a small break to see good friends.