1. Aaaahh, I feel this one! I’m a firm believer in trying to be as clear as possible and it always frustrates the h out of me when someone (usually a man) goes “I know you said X but I thought you really meant Y”. Maybe if we just take people at their words the world will be a nicer place.

Also sleep catnea!

2. MateytheFirst said:

Hah, nice! Chaos Life is a pretty good one too, located here: http://chaoslife.findchaos.com/ , the artist/author is agendered, ASFAB (assigned female at birth) and married to a woman, so they’ve been through a LOT of discrimination. Their comics are really funny, and sometimes very insightful and helpful!

• k3ilyn said:

<3 chaos life

3. I like that comic a lot, but the latest one is pretty transphobic.

I think I saw it after s/he had edited it to address that very criticism.

• They’ve still left in ‘trans men’ under a conversation to do with women. I’ve seen a LOT of trans men really upset about it, and specifically calling it transphobic. I have to agree

• Jetamors said:

The author addressed that criticism in her follow-up post, FWIW. (Not saying you have to agree with her, of course, just noting that she gives her reasoning.)

• stealth trans man said:

Yeah, it is transphobic. The most transphobic part? “Trans men!” then, in the next panel, “We’re not talking about men right now.”

The author makes another couple of comments that rub me up the wrong way – e.g. that it’s OK for a trans man to call himself a lesbian because “identity is complicated”. I doubt that’s something they’d say about a cis man.

I’m rather sick of smug progressives thinking they’re doing ever so well because they’ve heard the term “trans”, then failing as hard as any conservative you care to find.

4. I want a bottle of Cativan!

5. Ugly_Fat_Loser said:

I really, really, REALLY don’t see the gender-essentialism Blue-Haired White Savior sees in Bald Black Transgressor’s line. “What does my girlfriend mean when–?” just doesn’t ring gender-essentialist to me. “What do women mean when–?” would. “My girlfriend” refers to a specific person (the speaker’s girlfriend), and the question is not inherently essentialist. “Women” is more general, and thus more likely to be essentialist. (You could go on about how asking other than his girlfriend what she meant to say was a poor decision on Bald Black Transgressor’s part, but I still don’t see how his line is sexist or essentialist.)